1Extremely bright, especially so as to blind the eyes temporarily: the sunlight was dazzling figurative a dazzling smile
More example sentences
- Everyone was momentarily blind by the dazzling white light that emanated from the doorway.
- It was large, very large, he guessed it must have come from a swan's wing, and it was the purest, most dazzling white, so bright that it hardly looked real.
- At first, I was blinded by dazzling white and blinked, looking away.
extremely bright, blinding, glaring, brilliant, gleaming, shining
1.1Extremely impressive, beautiful, or skilful: a dazzling display of football
More example sentences
- And of course the desire is to make a dazzling first impression.
- But their vivacious personality comes across even in photographs and makes their overall impression one of dazzling beauty.
- The German Green Party of the '80s was a hothouse for beautiful ideas and a dazzling new politics.
impressive, remarkable, extraordinary, outstanding, exceptional, staggering, incredible, amazing, astonishing, phenomenal, coruscating, imposing, breathtaking, thrilling;
excellent, wonderful, magnificent, splendid, marvellous, superb, very good, first-rate, first-class, awe-inspiring, superlative, matchless, peerless
informal mind-boggling, mind-blowing, out of this world, fabulous, fab, super, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, fantastic, tremendous, great, terrific, stellar, sensational, smashing, ace, A1, cool, awesome, amazeballs, magic, wicked, tip-top, top-notch, out of sight, way-out
British informal brill
North American informal badass
Australian/New Zealand informal bonzer
British informal, dated capital, spiffing, topping, top-hole, wizard
- Example sentences
- And he is also dazzlingly - enchantingly - one of the greatest masters of language who ever lived.
- But I did so dazzlingly well that I actually scored 102%.
- The Valley has a dazzlingly diverse collection of birds: some permanent residents, others summer migrants from the plains, yet others winter visitors from the hills.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: daz|zling
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.