Definition of de-anglicize in English:
Remove English characteristics or influence from: Europeans make adaptations that effectively de-Anglicize the English language
More example sentences
- The decision by the film's director not to de-anglicize the actors playing Soviets results in much distraction.
- The government of Kerala decreed some years ago that the names Calicut, Cochin and Quilon be de-anglicized to Kozhikode, Kochi and Kollam.
- One of his suggestions to achieve that aim was the de-anglicising of place names.
- Example sentences
- Such aspirations were based upon the pursuit of a vigorous program of de-anglicization and required a vibrant reappraisal of what had been lost to the boom of the colonial ‘cultural bomb.’
- The ruthless de-anglicisation of the English people has incited hatred of the idea of an English community even amongst some English themselves.
- And now Bangalore, my home for most of this year and for the next six months, is jumping on India's de-anglicization band-wagon and changing its name to Bengaluru.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan