Definition of de-anglicize in English:
Remove English characteristics or influence from: Europeans make adaptations that effectively de-Anglicize the English language
More example sentences
- The decision by the film's director not to de-anglicize the actors playing Soviets results in much distraction.
- The government of Kerala decreed some years ago that the names Calicut, Cochin and Quilon be de-anglicized to Kozhikode, Kochi and Kollam.
- One of his suggestions to achieve that aim was the de-anglicising of place names.
- Example sentences
- Such aspirations were based upon the pursuit of a vigorous program of de-anglicization and required a vibrant reappraisal of what had been lost to the boom of the colonial ‘cultural bomb.’
- The ruthless de-anglicisation of the English people has incited hatred of the idea of an English community even amongst some English themselves.
- And now Bangalore, my home for most of this year and for the next six months, is jumping on India's de-anglicization band-wagon and changing its name to Bengaluru.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.