Reduce the intensity of (a conflict or potentially violent situation): they had training in how to de-escalate a situation
More example sentences
- You've got to properly staff to do these things, but it's your tactics, your strategy that de-escalates the situation.
- It is only a question of time before somebody is killed unless steps are taken to de-escalate the situation.
- If they had been taught how to de-escalate situations, if this was standard police policy, there's no question that officers would respond more appropriately and lives would be saved.
- Example sentences
- Perhaps what comes out of there may start a cycle of de-escalation.
- Not a day passes without one group and association or the other unfurling its own plans of conflict de-escalation, peace and harmony.
- He said the move was in response to last year's generally peaceful marching season, and was part of an ongoing de-escalation over the past three years.
Definition of de-escalate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.