adverb & adjective
- In a condescending or superior manner: [as adverb]: he never addressed his students de haut en basMore example sentences
- The constitution is the epitome of Europe de haut en bas, of decisions imposed by elites.
- Everybody thinks they know more about the internet than everybody else so I anticipate a tirade of abuse and de haut en bas dismissals.
- But that kind of approach strikes us as disagreeably de haut en bas now, and paternalism isn't really a vote-winner any more.
French, 'from above to below'.
More definitions of de haut en basDefinition of de haut en bas in:
- The US English dictionary