Definition of deactivate in English:
1Make (something) inactive by disconnecting or destroying it: the switch deactivates the alarm
More example sentences
- He pressed the switch to deactivate the program, then his weapons faded and he opened the door.
- The council is also reminding local people that when they go on holiday they will not be able to deactivate their burglar alarm if it is falsely triggered.
- Kevin ran to a computer and deactivated the shields and weapons.
1.1 Military Remove from active duty.
- On 1 October 1993, the 46th Fighter Training Squadron was deactivated when the active duty Air Force took control of all fighter replacement training.
- Following this action the 5th Ranger Battalion finished the war serving as conventional infantry or guard forces, and were finally deactivated in October of 1945.
- With the signal battalion deactivated, the burden of managing the installation, operation and maintenance of communications systems did not fall on the shoulders of the BTB.
- Example sentences
- In the first five years, the reactors will undergo mild surface-level deactivation to minimize their radioactivity.
- This can result in major damage for your website from loss of consumer loyalty and trust to deactivation of your e-mail privileges.
- These agreements also order the deactivation of land-based missiles that carry more than one warhead each by 2003 and their destruction by 2007.
- deactivator noun
- Example sentences
- A migraine may be identified both by its activators (red wine, hunger, lack of sleep, glare, perfume, periods of letdown) and its deactivators (sleep, pregnancy, exhilaration, sumatriptan).
- Here, use this deactivator to stun them for 10 minute increments and be careful.
- Ergonomic and easy to use, our label deactivators are designed to help retailers maximize cashier efficiency.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.