1Parts of a tree or branch which are dead.
- Remove weak and crossing branches and dead wood.
- Prune any dead wood evident on trees, but avoid trimming spring-flowering shrubs.
- Prune plants to regulate size, renew growth, develop plant form and orient branches and remove dead wood.
1.1People or things that are no longer useful or productive: a lot of the company’s dead wood was removed by voluntary redundancy
More example sentences
- Andrew Runciman confided: ‘There's a lot of dead wood in the public sector that needs sorting out.’
- Mostly this process will clear away a lot of dead wood, discrediting a crowd of mediocre directors and actors that no one will care about in two years' time.
- The Legislature wanted the committee to remove dead wood provisions from the Maryland Constitution.
Definition of dead wood in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.