Definition of dead ball in English:
1(In ball games) a ball that has gone out of play or is declared to be out of play.
- The ball careened back into fair territory and was caught by pitcher Kip Wells but was ruled a dead ball by plate umpire Travis Katzenmeier.
- The player may re-enter the game at the first dead ball after the 5-minute penalty has elapsed.
- ‘Some years ago when playing amateur football, I retrieved a dead ball from off the pitch, carried it back on and handed it to my goalie,’ Craig Thomas told us a few weeks ago.
1.1 [as modifier] Soccer Involving a restart of the game by kicking a stationary ball, e.g. by a free kick: dead-ball situations
More example sentences
- Hakan Yakin is a free-kick expert who will be hard to shift from dead-ball situations around the box.
- Beckham's ability from dead-ball positions would definitely improve Arsenal, who sometimes appear to set little store by them.
- The second came from an intimidating dead-ball delivery by Beckham that Jermaine Taylor helplessly headed into his own net.
Definition of dead ball in:
- US English dictionary