Definition of dead ball in English:
1(In ball games) a ball that has gone out of play or is declared to be out of play.
- The ball careened back into fair territory and was caught by pitcher Kip Wells but was ruled a dead ball by plate umpire Travis Katzenmeier.
- The player may re-enter the game at the first dead ball after the 5-minute penalty has elapsed.
- ‘Some years ago when playing amateur football, I retrieved a dead ball from off the pitch, carried it back on and handed it to my goalie,’ Craig Thomas told us a few weeks ago.
1.1 [as modifier] Soccer Involving a restart of the game by kicking a stationary ball, e.g. by a free kick: dead-ball situations
More example sentences
- Hakan Yakin is a free-kick expert who will be hard to shift from dead-ball situations around the box.
- Beckham's ability from dead-ball positions would definitely improve Arsenal, who sometimes appear to set little store by them.
- The second came from an intimidating dead-ball delivery by Beckham that Jermaine Taylor helplessly headed into his own net.
Definition of dead ball in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan