Definition of dead-ball line in English:
1 Rugby A line behind the goal line, beyond which the ball is out of play.
- In the dying seconds a long clearance looked to have given Benedict's a try, but G. Thompson got back to slide the ball over the dead-ball line.
- And Josh Lewsey and Will Greenwood failed to get to grips with the ball later on as it fell over the dead-ball line.
- This time Daryl Murphy worked his way to the dead-ball line on the right, and when he cut the ball back, Kevin O'Brien met it cleanly to score from 16 yards.
2 Soccer The byline.
- Kalinichenko's set-piece was a bad ball from the moment it left his foot to the moment it crossed the dead-ball line without touching anyone else.
- Salgado turns into Damien Duff, weaving into the box along the dead-ball line and leaving a trail of defenders in his wake.
- The Lions managed to bundle Jean de Villiers over the dead-ball line after the Springbok centre had gathered right wing Breyton Paulse's kick.
Definition of dead-ball line in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.