Definition of dead-ball line in English:
1 Rugby A line behind the goal line, beyond which the ball is out of play.
- In the dying seconds a long clearance looked to have given Benedict's a try, but G. Thompson got back to slide the ball over the dead-ball line.
- And Josh Lewsey and Will Greenwood failed to get to grips with the ball later on as it fell over the dead-ball line.
- This time Daryl Murphy worked his way to the dead-ball line on the right, and when he cut the ball back, Kevin O'Brien met it cleanly to score from 16 yards.
2 Soccer The byline.
- Kalinichenko's set-piece was a bad ball from the moment it left his foot to the moment it crossed the dead-ball line without touching anyone else.
- Salgado turns into Damien Duff, weaving into the box along the dead-ball line and leaving a trail of defenders in his wake.
- The Lions managed to bundle Jean de Villiers over the dead-ball line after the Springbok centre had gathered right wing Breyton Paulse's kick.
Definition of dead-ball line in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan