Definition of deadeye in English:
1 Sailing A circular wooden block with a groove round the circumference to take a lanyard, used singly or in pairs to tighten a shroud.
- Every plank and rib, deadeye and curb were built according to the detailed plans of Bombigher.
- In addition to these objects of women's interest, there are several tokens of men's concerns: a model of the ship Minerva, a deadeye, and a delicately carved game box.
- Here we find deadeyes and pulleys still attached to the hull.
2 informal , chiefly North American An expert marksman: Chuck here is a deadeye [as modifier]: a successful field goal requires a deadeye kick
More example sentences
- Smith, on the other hand, is a deadeye marksman a step past his prime, requiring help from his teammates to get the space he needs to fire away.
- Two and a half years ago, as the primary complement to Garnett in the team's offensive sets, the deadeye shooter was proficient enough to be chosen to the NBA All-Star Team.
- Buechler is a smart, valuable role player, an excellent defender and, until this season, a deadeye jump shooter.
Words that rhyme with deadeyered-eye
Definition of deadeye in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.