- A large dark European hawkmoth which has a skull-like marking on the thorax.
More example sentences
- Acherontia atropos, family Sphingidae
- The death's head hawkmoth is believed to have gained its place in folklore because the coloration pattern on the thorax bears an uncanny resemblance to a human skull.
- I did not know then that it was a death's head hawkmoth and that it could emit a peculiar squeak when handled!
More definitions of death's head hawkmothDefinition of death's head hawkmoth in:
- The US English dictionary