1A stroke with a hand or weapon that causes death.
- In the final battle in Cornwall he is slain by Arthur but deals the king his death blow.
- He was laid low ‘by some of the enemy concealed in a room in the palace’ - only a group of men, hiding in a cowardly fashion, could have given the death blow to such a man!
- They included the heroic Lord Francis Villiers who, knocked off his horse, continued fighting with his back against a tree until receiving his death blow.
1.1An event or circumstance which abruptly ends something: this feature of quantum mechanics dealt a death blow to the theory
More example sentences
- This prohibition on registration of transfer of certain properties has dealt a death blow to the property market in and around Bangalore and kept it in suspended animation.
- But to do nothing is a death blow to Social Security.
- Tsarism could be dealt a death blow if the revolutionary forces were united and determined enough.
Definition of death blow in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.