- 1A house in which someone has died.More example sentences
- He has managed to market seventy pieces from the balcony, every plank inscribed ‘from the death house of Franz Kafka.’
- Mummy and I didn't want to go down to the death-house too soon, because the aunts were in such deep mourning, always deeper in Ireland than anywhere else.
- 1.1A place for storing bodies prior to burial or cremation.More example sentences
- I've sat in the death house with victims' families, seen them suffer.
- He was left for dead in a hut known by the PoWs as the death house, but fellow prisoners nursed him to health.
- 1.2US • informal The building in which prisoners are kept in preparation for execution.More example sentences
- Officials said they moved the prisoner to a bare cell in the windowless death house on the prison grounds yesterday, confirming it with a video released to news media.
- And Terre Haute Federal Prison and its death house in rural Indiana hardly make for a modern-day Calvary or Golgotha.
- On January 12, two prison matrons escorted her quickly into the death house and strapped her, sobbing, into the large wooden chair.
More definitions of death houseDefinition of death house in:
- The US English dictionary