Definition of death house in English:
1A house in which someone has died.
- He has managed to market seventy pieces from the balcony, every plank inscribed ‘from the death house of Franz Kafka.’
- Mummy and I didn't want to go down to the death-house too soon, because the aunts were in such deep mourning, always deeper in Ireland than anywhere else.
1.2US informal The building in which prisoners are kept in preparation for execution.
- Officials said they moved the prisoner to a bare cell in the windowless death house on the prison grounds yesterday, confirming it with a video released to news media.
- And Terre Haute Federal Prison and its death house in rural Indiana hardly make for a modern-day Calvary or Golgotha.
- On January 12, two prison matrons escorted her quickly into the death house and strapped her, sobbing, into the large wooden chair.
Definition of death house in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia