- An innate desire for self-annihilation, proposed by certain psychologists. Compare with life instinct.More example sentences
- Freud considered that aggression was derived from the death instinct being redirected towards the external world.
- Conversely, the death instinct originates with the birth of the human being and is an integral part of development, as has been pointed out by Freud and Klein.
- Segal describes a psychic pain involving the expression of the death instinct.
More definitions of death instinctDefinition of death instinct in:
- The US English dictionary