- 1The tolling of a bell to mark someone’s death.More example sentences
- Livra's words had set a bell tolling the death knell in the king's head.
- Then he had vanished entirely, and she was left with her heart beginning to pound like a bell's death knell.
- 1.1Used to refer to the imminent destruction or failure of something: the chaos may sound the death knell for the UN peace planMore example sentences
- They have been joined by Scottish oyster farmers who fear the warning could sound the death knell for their industry, which is estimated to be worth £1.5m a year.
- For a health care system already on life support due to extreme budget cuts, the extraction of $500,000,000 dollars would be the death knell.
- It is hard to know for sure when - or whether - the death knell for a species has tolled.
More definitions of death knellDefinition of death knell in:
- The US English dictionary