A small beetle whose larvae bore into dead wood and structural timbers, causing considerable damage. The adult makes a tapping sound like a watch ticking, formerly believed to portend death.
- Xestobium rufovillosum, family Anobiidae
More example sentences
- Male death-watch beetles bang their heads against the sides of their wooden tunnels to attract females.
- Indeed, the behaviour of death-watch beetle actually makes it more susceptible to surface treatments than common furniture beetle.
- Anobiids are similar to lyctids in color and size, but are cylindrical; the common furniture and death-watch beetles belong in this group.
Definition of deathwatch beetle in:
- The US English dictionary