Definition of debug in English:
verb (debugs, debugging, debugged)[with object]
1Identify and remove errors from (computer hardware or software): games are the worst to debug (as noun debugging) software debugging
More example sentences
- While I tried to debug the software and hardware for a scientific instrument next door I heard drilling and hammering.
- And slowly, but steadily, the software was debugged.
- One of the most critical stages of software development is characterising the bugs (detecting any defects by testing) and then debugging the software.
2Detect and remove concealed microphones from (an area).
- ‘Stop I've already debugged the place don't worry Jess’ the voice came from the armchair if you could call it that near the only actual window in the apartment.
- Do clients ever ask you to debug an office, and if they do, do you actually ever find any bugs?
- He added that ‘specialised technicians’ were responsible for all security surrounding the conclave, ruling out speculation that experts from outside had been brought in to debug the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican hotel and other rooms where cardinals will meet.
3North American Remove insects from (something), especially with a pesticide.
- Campo has used her meagre savings, volunteers, small donations and the good-hearted service of cheap vets to sterilize, test and debug the cats and return them to health.
- I picked up the first available weapon, that compendium of guest services promising to make me feel at home away from home, and I went about the grisly business of debugging my room.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The process of identifying and removing errors from computer hardware or software: [as modifier]: every designer has a different debug method
More example sentences
- The version we got our mitts on was a pre-release prototype fully installed with processor-hogging debug code but otherwise pretty close to the final product, we're told.
- Error messages do appear fairly often, produced by debug software the developers are using during beta testing so players can to track down bugs more easily.
- The method may further include generating debug information if a data corruption is detected by one of the test threads.
Definition of debug in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.