Definition of decathlon in English:
An athletic event taking place over two days, in which each competitor takes part in the same prescribed ten events (100 metres sprint, long jump, shot-put, high jump, 400 metres, 110 metres hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin, and 1,500 metres).
- The Kazahkstan athlete leads the decathlon after seven events.
- Steve Harris is a Senior Level 4 coach at the Barnet and District Athletics Club, coaching events in long jump, sprints, decathlon, discus and javelin.
- ‘This Rover Initiative will help raise the profile of combined events and encourage more youngsters to take up the decathlon and heptathlon,’ added Campbell.
- Example sentences
- United States decathlete Dan O'Brien won the event to avenge his disappointment for not making the Olympics four years earlier.
- Bergvall, a former decathlete who has been her trainer since 1999, first spotted Klüft at her local sports club when she was 13.
- The 26-year-old decathlete eased past the qualifying target of 7,700 points after two days of competition at the Hexham International Multi-Events competition.
Definition of decathlon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan