Definition of deceitful in English:
Guilty of or involving deceit; deceiving or misleading others: a deceitful politician such an act would have been deceitful and irresponsible
More example sentences
- I forced a smile, a lying, deceitful, false smile, as if that was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard.
- ‘In the context of these admissions, it follows that she agreed to provide a false, deceitful account,’ Mr Latham said.
- Sceptics in the media have always seen opinion polls as crooked: not as deceitful as horoscopes, but way short of the exacting standards met by the racing tipsters.
dishonest, untruthful, lying, mendacious, insincere, false, deceiving, dissembling, disingenuous, untrustworthy, unscrupulous, unprincipled, two-faced, duplicitous, double-dealing, cheating, underhand, crafty, cunning, sly, guileful, scheming, calculating, conniving, designing, hypocritical, perfidious, treacherous, Machiavellian, Janus-faced
South African informalslim
fraudulent, counterfeit, fabricated, invented, concocted, made up, trumped up, untrue, hollow, false, sham, bogus, fake, illusory, spurious, specious, fallacious, deceptive, misleading, misguided, distorted
humorouseconomical with the truth
- Example sentences
- When only 40,000 people showed up for the anti-gun Million-Mom March a few years ago, the mainstream media deceitfully reported an estimated attendance of 750,000.
- So long as they don't act dishonestly or deceitfully, and so long as they don't violate some specific law, people living in our society are still free to conduct their affairs any which way they please.
- Zhuu accused the hospital of deceitfully undertaking unnecessary examinations and prescribing expensive medicines just to make a bigger profit.
- Example sentences
- Despite her deceitfulness and fraudulent behaviour, you want her to succeed.
- You are basically endorsing his deceitfulness if you continue this friendship.
- You should be ashamed of yourselves at displaying your deceitfulness and ignorance.
Pronunciation: /dɪˈsiːtfʊli/ /dɪˈsiːtfəli/adverb
Pronunciation: /dɪˈsiːtfʊlnəs/ /dɪˈsiːtfəlnəs/noun
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.