- A person or party who makes a formal declaration.More example sentences
- As in the first instance above, I find this hearsay evidence to be necessary as the declarant is now deceased.
- Given my conclusion that only the comments of the deceased declarants Belanger and Kane meet both the necessity and reliability criteria, it may be that their remarks have limited probative value, and could be taken out of context.
- At the stage of hearsay admissibility the trial judge should not consider the declarant's general reputation for truthfulness, nor any prior or subsequent statements, consistent or not.
adjectiveBack to top
- Making or having made a formal declaration: the declarant stateMore example sentences
- Most Contracting States have made such a declaration, and all but one of declarant States have specified a one-year time limit.
late 17th century: from French déclarant, present participle of déclarer, from Latin declarare 'make quite clear' (see declare).
More definitions of declarantDefinition of declarant in:
- The US English dictionary