Definition of declension in English:
- Gildersleeve and Lodge's Latin Grammar has a discussion of the declension of Greek nouns at pp.32-33.
- Czech is a Slavic language with a declension system based on seven cases.
- It was in Latin and not English Language classes that we learnt about the various verb tenses and noun declensions.
- The gender of the word alone is ambiguous, occurring in a declension denoting either males or females.
- In Latin, if a word is second declension, it will be masculine.
- A careful reading of these reports from dozens of faithful missionaries - who preach the gospel of the sovereign grace of God in Jesus Christ - will bear out what we say about the widespread declension in missionary theology and methods.
- Peter Milsom gave two very practical papers on spiritual growth and spiritual declension.
- The present is thus perceived as that period of declension that is the subject of the jeremiad.
- Example sentences
- There are five declensional types in Latin, that are recognized by their terminations in genitive singular.
- According to Birkeland, this is a new development, reflecting a tendency to drop the declensional endings.
- Veron, Baret and Huloet-Higgins indicate the declensional patterns of nouns in Latin by providing the genitive singular form.
Late Middle English declinson, from Old French declinaison, from decliner 'to decline'. The change in the ending was probably due to association with words such as ascension.
Words that rhyme with declensionabstention, apprehension, ascension, attention, circumvention, comprehension, condescension, contention, contravention, convention, detention, dimension, dissension, extension, gentian, hypertension, hypotension, intention, intervention, invention, mention, misapprehension, obtention, pension, prehension, prevention, recension, retention, subvention, supervention, suspension, tension
Definition of declension in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.