Definition of declination in English:
1 Astronomy The angular distance of a point north or south of the celestial equator: the declination of Arcturus is 19 degrees north Compare with right ascension and celestial latitude.
More example sentences
- Also every month, the Moon will reach its minimum declination at 18 north or south.
- To calculate the distance we need to know the declination of the sun on a given day.
- Consistently, equinoctial markers and alignments were made to an declination well over half a degree to the north.
1.1The angular deviation of a compass needle from true north (because the magnetic north pole and the geographic north pole do not coincide).
- The compass needle and a knowledge of magnetic declination, the angle between the magnetic north and geographic north, were developments from this knowledge; they were described by Shen Kua in 1088.
- On the North Rim the difference between map and compass is 15 east, a distinction known as magnetic declination.
- He also studied magnetic declination and was the first to observe the secular variation.
- Example sentences
- Important also are planets that make contrasting declinational aspects versus the natal chart.
- This constituent expresses the effect of departure from a sinusoidal declinational motion.
- By examining the declinational placements of the planets in your chart, you should find strengths you missed by looking only to the zodiacal signs and houses.
Definition of declination in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan