Definition of declination in English:
1 Astronomy The angular distance of a point north or south of the celestial equator: the declination of Arcturus is 19 degrees north Compare with right ascension and celestial latitude.
More example sentences
- Also every month, the Moon will reach its minimum declination at 18 north or south.
- To calculate the distance we need to know the declination of the sun on a given day.
- Consistently, equinoctial markers and alignments were made to an declination well over half a degree to the north.
1.1The angular deviation of a compass needle from true north (because the magnetic north pole and the geographic north pole do not coincide).
- The compass needle and a knowledge of magnetic declination, the angle between the magnetic north and geographic north, were developments from this knowledge; they were described by Shen Kua in 1088.
- On the North Rim the difference between map and compass is 15 east, a distinction known as magnetic declination.
- He also studied magnetic declination and was the first to observe the secular variation.
- declinational adjective
- Example sentences
- Important also are planets that make contrasting declinational aspects versus the natal chart.
- This constituent expresses the effect of departure from a sinusoidal declinational motion.
- By examining the declinational placements of the planets in your chart, you should find strengths you missed by looking only to the zodiacal signs and houses.
Definition of declination in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.