Definition of deconstruction in English:
- In philosophical terms, deconstruction is a form of relativist scepticism in the tradition of Nietzsche.
- Derrida has two main ways of exposing these textual interplays, deconstruction and double reading.
- Alas, these are the only two texts critical of deconstruction that I have ever found that also understand it.
Deconstruction focuses on a text as such rather than as an expression of the author’s intention, stressing the limitlessness (or impossibility) of interpretation and rejecting the Western philosophical tradition of seeking certainty through reasoning by privileging certain types of interpretation and repressing others. It was effectively named and popularized by the French philosopher Jacques Derrida from the late 1960s and taken up particularly by US literary critics
- Example sentences
- From the dialectic materialism of Hegel to the deconstructionism of Jacques Derrida, these traditions distinguished themselves from the Anglo-American schools of analytic thought in both their content and their methodologies.
- He has criticized liberal Protestantism, Marxism, Hegelianism, naturalism and deconstructionism.
- Pinker talks about relativism, social constructivism, science studies, cultural studies, critical theory, postmodernism, and deconstructionism.
- Example sentences
- He typifies as absurd the post-modern, deconstructionist school of literary criticism, which dismisses the importance of authorship or authorial intention, thus allowing a text to be read and interpreted in any way.
- While reality is not so subjective as postmodern philosophers and deconstructionist literary critics would have us believe, the words we use can have a powerful effect.
- His solution, in so far as it is meant to be that, lies in what has become in recent years one of his most celebrated views, thanks to its being so congenial to deconstructionists.
Definition of deconstruction in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.