Definition of decrepitate in English:
verb[no object] technical
(Of a solid, especially a crystal) disintegrate audibly when heated.
- Some pyrrhotite is relatively unstable in humid environments, decrepitating like pyrite.
- Furthermore, much marcasite is highly unstable when exposed to the atmosphere and decrepitates quickly.
- The rock is so thoroughly altered it decrepitates on exposure to the atmosphere.
- Example sentences
- Mixed together with oxidisers, these compounds combust by producing small explosions or ‘decrepitation’ at the surface of the burning mixture.
- In this work, the decrepitation process was examined with regard to mechanical properties and microstructure.
- In addition, it also resists compaction and promotes decrepitation of the alloy.
Definition of decrepitate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan