- Make (something) unfamiliar or strange: art serves to defamiliarize our experience of our own presentMore example sentences
- Not merely altering a work's style or spirit, translation robbed it of its unceasing power to defamiliarize readers with respect to their experience and to compel them to confront their own ignorance.
- By defamiliarizing well-known buildings, some of which we may have an image of in our mind, Sugimoto compels us to consider them with renewed attentiveness.
- These initial defamiliarizing images set the tone for the sketch's central drama-the transformations that the youth's point of view undergoes.
More definitions of defamiliarizeDefinition of defamiliarize in:
- The US English dictionary