Definition of defiant in English:
Showing defiance: a defiant gesture
More example sentences
- Croydon continued to press but the Oxted defence remained in a defiant mood.
- It was a last defiant gesture of a man awarded medals for serving his country in Malaya.
- There is a defiant resistance under way all over the world, and we would do well to join it.
intransigent, resistant, obstinate, uncooperative, non-compliant, recalcitrant, confrontational, challenging;
aggressive, belligerent, pugnacious, bellicose, combative, ready for a fight, antagonistic, hostile;
obstreperous, truculent, dissenting, argumentative, quarrelsome, contentious, disobedient, insubordinate, subversive, rebellious, mutinous
informal feisty, spoiling for a fight
British informal stroppy, bolshie
North American informal scrappy
archaic or Law contumacious
- Example sentences
- The piece is defiantly unglossy in both subject matter and execution: it reads less like a letter than a charge sheet.
- In the distance looms the Kirk O'Shotts, its grey stone walls standing defiantly against a bare landscape.
- Paul, determined to sound brave and tough, raises his head defiantly.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan