Showing defiance: a defiant gesture
More example sentences
- Croydon continued to press but the Oxted defence remained in a defiant mood.
- It was a last defiant gesture of a man awarded medals for serving his country in Malaya.
- There is a defiant resistance under way all over the world, and we would do well to join it.
intransigent, resistant, obstinate, uncooperative, non-compliant, recalcitrant, confrontational, challenging; aggressive, belligerent, pugnacious, bellicose, combative, ready for a fight, antagonistic, hostile; obstreperous, truculent, dissenting, argumentative, quarrelsome, contentious, disobedient, insubordinate, subversive, rebellious, mutinous
informal feisty, spoiling for a fight
British informal stroppy, bolshie
North American informal scrappy
archaic or Lawcontumacious
- More example sentences
- The piece is defiantly unglossy in both subject matter and execution: it reads less like a letter than a charge sheet.
- In the distance looms the Kirk O'Shotts, its grey stone walls standing defiantly against a bare landscape.
- Paul, determined to sound brave and tough, raises his head defiantly.