- 1Without doubt (used for emphasis): I shall definitely be at the airport to meet youMore example sentences
certainly, surely, for sure, unquestionably, without/beyond doubt, without/beyond question, beyond any doubt, undoubtedly, indubitably, assuredly, positively, absolutely; undeniably, irrefutably, incontrovertibly, incontestably, unmistakably; plainly, clearly, obviously, patently, palpably, transparently, categorically, decidedly, unequivocally; easily, far and away, by a mile, without fail, there are no two ways about it, there's no denying it, needless to say• informal as sure as eggs is eggs
- He has no plans to move at the moment, but there is no doubt that both he and Ian are definitely in the wrong area.
- Something was definitely wrong here and he was pretty sure he was going to hate it more than he was going to like it.
- I knew that some of the correspondents were definitely heading to the wrong islands.
- 1.1In a definite manner; clearly: we couldn’t plan to go elsewhere until we had heard from you more definitelyMore example sentences
- Some of us had instructions to wake up our parents and some of us had instructions definitely not to wake them.
- For China Doll, Chan definitely has something to say about her character throwing off the shackles of her gender in China a century ago.
- He had a bottle of wine and was definitely dressed to the nines, so to speak.