Definition of degauss in English:
1 Electronics Remove unwanted magnetism from (a television or monitor) in order to correct colour disturbance: (as noun degaussing) the degaussing of a monitor
More example sentences
- Closest thing a programmer has been to a rave is the last time they degaussed their monitor.
- But if you degauss a hard disk, you can never use it again.
- Otherwise, the tape must be properly degaussed.
2 historical Neutralize the magnetic field of (a ship) by encircling it with a conductor carrying electric currents.
- The first part of the experiment took place in 1943 when a powerful electromagnetic field was used to degauss the ship without any damage to electronic equipment on board.
- The size arrangement and location of the degaussing coils are based on finite element modelling of the ship structure and major equipment fits.
- The ship's degaussing is made up of 25 coils for the ship's structure as a whole and local coils for specific items of equipment.
- Example sentences
- On a DLT tape with 80GB of compressed data, an industrial strength degausser must be employed.
- The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media.
- Devices known as ‘degaussers’ are routinely used for this purpose.
Definition of degauss in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan