Words that rhyme with Delawareleisurewear • Tupperware
noun (plural same or Delawares)
1A member of an American Indian people formerly inhabiting the Delaware River valley of New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania.
- This Indian Territory was where eastern Indian tribes such as the Kickapoos, Delawares, and Shawnees lived.
- Among the tribes represented were Delawares, Iroquois, Wyandots, Miamis, Ottawas, Pottawattamies, Creeks, Sac and Fox, Choctaw.
- Pontiac himself claimed to have waged war ‘solely on repeated invitations made me by the Delawares, Iroquois, and Shawnees.’
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Delaware or their languages.
- Its name comes from a Delaware Indian word meaning ‘on the great plain’ and its 253,500 sq. kilometres range from Rocky snow peaks to hot springs to truly great plains.
- Wyoming is a word derived from a Delaware word which meant ‘extensive flats’ or ‘great bottom lands’.
- During his very active life Zeisberger managed to publish several works in the Delaware tongue.
Named after the River Delaware (see Delaware1).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.