Definition of delegitimize in English:
Withdraw legitimate status or authority from: the country has been delegitimized by the world community
More example sentences
- ‘We're moving away from more than five decades of efforts to delegitimize the use of nuclear weapons,’ he warned.
- In the end, it wasn't the musical subcultures that were delegitimized but Soviet authority.
- Prosecutors delegitimize this status by using it to extract plea bargains
- Example sentences
- But it's also another small step in the delegitimization of the very idea that the out-of-power party has the right to oppose the party in power.
- This sort of delegitimization of terrorism, I think, is courageous.
- The end of the Cold War, therefore, was less a ‘victory’ of one side over the other than a joint process of delegitimization, the dissolution of two separate political imaginaries.
Definition of delegitimize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan