Feeling or showing great pleasure: a delighted smile [with infinitive]: we were delighted to see her
More example sentences
- Instead of being rewarded with a delighted smile, there was an awkward, bitter smirk.
- It was a source of delighted surprise to his friends to discover his expert knowledge of food and wines.
- I even wrote an essay about the joys of dentistry which was presented to my delighted dentist.
very pleased, glad, happy, joyful, thrilled, overjoyed, ecstatic, euphoric, elated, blissful, enraptured, on cloud nine/seven, walking on air, in seventh heaven, in transports of delight, jumping for joy, beside oneself with happiness, excited;
enchanted, charmed, entertained, gratified, amused, diverted, like a child with a new toy;
gleeful, triumphant, cock-a-hoop;
informal over the moon, tickled pink, like a dog with two tails, as pleased as Punch, on top of the world, on a high, as happy as Larry, blissed out, sent
British informal chuffed
Northern English informal made up
North American informal as happy as a clam
Australian informal wrapped
- Example sentences
- Or maybe they placed 2p into a ‘penny fall’ machine then watched delightedly as a handful of coins clattered into the ‘win’ tray.
- Certainly the acceptance speech was a series of such one-liners delivered on a circular stage, while the convention delegates pitched in delightedly with the expected applause.
- ‘She will kill him,’ said one source delightedly.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.