Definition of deliquescent in English:
1Becoming liquid, or having a tendency to become liquid.
- Remember that there may technically be stronger drinks in the desert, but since ethanol is deliquescent, any such drinks would absorb water from the air to remain at most 96% by volume alcohol.
- Like bookends to the main event, he added orderly and totemic panels of more intimate scale, frosted over by a deliquescent rust applied like wash to gatherings of yet more lost things.
- That said, his third solo exhibition at Kasmin featured 10 roiling, deliquescent abstractions that refer less to nature than to the mediated status of its representation.
1.1 Chemistry (Of a solid) tending to absorb moisture from the air and dissolve in it.
- Potassium carbonate is deliquescent, which means that it will absorb water from the air.
- The aqueous-phase chemistry of deliquescent sea-salt aerosols in the remote marine boundary layer is investigated with a steady state box model.
- The number of particles is independent of the deliquescent state at which they are measured.
- Example sentences
- He had slushy ferric salts succumbing to their own deliquescence.
- An extended communal deliquescence into the same subway sludge from which the torment arose.
- Aids may not have specific symptoms, but Ebola most certainly does - a short incubation period followed by massive collapse and eventual deliquescence of the internal organs.
Definition of deliquescent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.