Definition of delude in English:
Make (someone) believe something that is not true: too many theorists have deluded the public (as adjective deluded) the poor deluded creature
More example sentences
- I'm always amazed that otherwise intelligent people are deluded into believing its truth.
- In many ways it is even deluding people to believe in something that is not the case.
- Those who tried to delude the people into believing that this was the last war were either fools or knaves, and he inclined to think that there were more knaves than fools.
informal con, bamboozle, pull the wool over someone's eyes, pull a fast one on, lead up the garden path, take for a ride, put one over on
Australian informal pull a swifty on
- Example sentences
- They are condemned, and they deludedly believe that they are commanded, to spread the contagion and to visit hell upon the unrighteous.
- And having read the deludedly self-important and crass drivel which prompted it, I thought I'd add my voice to the others who agree with you.
- Maybe a small part of me did blame her for the divorce, had deludedly believed that Dad would come back.
- Example sentences
- Yet when Tartuffe is scuppered by his all-too-real lust for Elmire, we see the deluder deluded.
- Twain discovered that pointing out just how ludicrous are the affectations of the fakers - both the deluders and the self-deluded - can often show just how empty are their claims.
- The General Court called for every town to establish a grammar school in order to thwart ‘one chief project of that old deluder, Satan, to keep men from knowledge of Scriptures…’
Words that rhyme with deludeallude, brood, collude, conclude, crude, dude, elude, étude, exclude, extrude, exude, feud, food, illude, include, intrude, Jude, lewd, mood, nude, obtrude, occlude, Oudh, preclude, protrude, prude, pseud, pultrude, rood, rude, seclude, shrewd, snood, transude, unglued, unsubdued, who'd, you'd
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan