Definition of demesne in English:
1A piece of land attached to a manor and retained by the owner for their own use: because labour was cheap, there were ample advantages in cultivating the demesne
More example sentences
- Where the lord of the manor had a demesne farm, the court appointed a reeve to supervise the farming activities, using labour services and collecting rents.
- The demesne was cultivated directly under the supervision of the landlord or his agents, by the tenants, who owed labour-service as part of their rent.
- In English Ireland they were associated with the reorganization of the land into manors with demesne land and dependent tenants, based to some extent on English models.
1.1The lands of an estate: a levy of one tenth on property in the royal demesne
More example sentences
- The society has had a considerable input into the various road plans and bypasses where they affect historic properties or important demesnes.
- The amiable and insolvent owner of the 300-acre estate died after being ambushed near his demesne.
- All kings drew resources from demesne estates and received regular food-rents, services, and payments in money or kind.
- held in demesne
- Law , historical (Of an estate) occupied by the owner, not by tenants.Example sentences
- In terms of tenancy, nine estates were held in demesne (that is, were worked by the tenant-in-chief) and nine had a single sub-tenant.
- Efficiency was influenced by whether an estate was held in demesne by the tenant-in-chief (estates being held in demesne tended to be more efficient) and who the tenant-in-chief was.
Words that rhyme with demesneabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, attain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, inane, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
Definition of demesne in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.