Definition of demonetize in English:
Deprive (a coin or precious metal) of its status as money: coins minted with the name and portrait of Emperor Caligula were demonetized after his death
More example sentences
- There's talk of demonetizing the penny altogether.
- They have, at least temporarily, demonetized Federal Reserve Notes,, by substituting chips.
- It is not up to the governments to monetize or demonetize a commodity.
- Example sentences
- In the initial stages it involved an attempt to reduce the value of gold and silver relative to banknotes, ultimately followed by a policy announcing the complete demonetization of gold and a phased series of reductions in silver.
- The demonetization of cowries or manillas (copper rods) provoked strong protest from people whose savings were in these forms, to such a degree, indeed, that the British were eventually forced to offer conversion facilities.
- The source of the problem was the initial demonetization of gold and silver which took place between 1913 and 1945.
Definition of demonetize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan