Portray as wicked and threatening: he was demonized by the right-wing press
More example sentences
- If we persist in demonising young people - portraying them as trouble-makers who need to be kept off our streets - we shouldn't be surprised if some of them, at least, turn out to be demons.
- Otherwise, we are doing just what we accuse the ‘other’ side of doing: demonizing the ‘enemy.’
- And of course you expect the other side to try to demonize him.
- Example sentences
- I know I'll be backed into some argument where fierce partisans insist that if I don't share their wildly unreasonable demonization of the other side I must be… one of them!
- We reject the demonization of perceived enemies, which only paves the way to abuse.
- But it's easy to slide from that kind of inquisitive, imaginative investigation of the past to an idealization of the past and a demonization of the present.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: de¦mon|ize
Definition of demonize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.