Definition of demonize in English:
Portray as wicked and threatening: he was demonized by the right-wing press
More example sentences
- If we persist in demonising young people - portraying them as trouble-makers who need to be kept off our streets - we shouldn't be surprised if some of them, at least, turn out to be demons.
- Otherwise, we are doing just what we accuse the ‘other’ side of doing: demonizing the ‘enemy.’
- And of course you expect the other side to try to demonize him.
- Example sentences
- I know I'll be backed into some argument where fierce partisans insist that if I don't share their wildly unreasonable demonization of the other side I must be… one of them!
- We reject the demonization of perceived enemies, which only paves the way to abuse.
- But it's easy to slide from that kind of inquisitive, imaginative investigation of the past to an idealization of the past and a demonization of the present.
Definition of demonize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia