- (Of a substance) relieving inflammation or irritation.More example sentences
- The second type of laxative is a lubricating bulk laxative, including demulcent herbs such as psyllium and flax seed.
- It is an important demulcent laxative, especially when combined with other laxative herbs.
- Bronchitis' best herbs are pectorals that combine expectorant action to clear the sputum with demulcent properties to soothe the inflamed tissue, therefore, Aniseed, Angelica root, Comfrey root and Hyssop are recommended.
nounBack to top
- A substance that relieves irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth by forming a protective film.More example sentences
- Many pastilles contain demulcents (relieves irritation) for example glycerine or honey, which can safely be taken by most people to stop their throat from feeling dry.
- Simple cough mixtures contain ingredients known as demulcents, for example glycerin, honey and syrup.
- Both marshmallow root and slippery elm act as demulcents, which coat the lining of the esophagus and protect it from irritation.
mid 18th century: from Latin demulcent- 'stroking caressingly', from the verb demulcere, from de- 'away' + mulcere 'soothe'.
More definitions of demulcentDefinition of demulcent in:
- The US English dictionary