(Of a substance) relieving inflammation or irritation.
- The second type of laxative is a lubricating bulk laxative, including demulcent herbs such as psyllium and flax seed.
- It is an important demulcent laxative, especially when combined with other laxative herbs.
- Bronchitis' best herbs are pectorals that combine expectorant action to clear the sputum with demulcent properties to soothe the inflamed tissue, therefore, Aniseed, Angelica root, Comfrey root and Hyssop are recommended.
A substance that relieves irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth by forming a protective film.
- Many pastilles contain demulcents (relieves irritation) for example glycerine or honey, which can safely be taken by most people to stop their throat from feeling dry.
- Simple cough mixtures contain ingredients known as demulcents, for example glycerin, honey and syrup.
- Both marshmallow root and slippery elm act as demulcents, which coat the lining of the esophagus and protect it from irritation.
Mid 18th century: from Latin demulcent- 'stroking caressingly', from the verb demulcere, from de- 'away' + mulcere 'soothe'.
Definition of demulcent in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.