Definition of demythologize in English:
1Reinterpret (a subject) so that it is free of mythical elements: the biographer undertakes to demythologize a man who is for many a modern saint
More example sentences
- ‘Stalin isn't subject to demythologizing, and this proves that he is alive,’ wrote Marina Koldovskaya in the liberal weekly magazine Novoye Vremya.
- Man would be free, he said, if we could demythologize religion.
- The ‘rape is violence’ feminists also sought to demythologise rape, to take away its special stigma.
1.1Reinterpret what are considered to be mythological elements of (the Bible).
- The other side of his theology is demythologizing.
- My way of demythologizing the case for public funding of stem-cell research will not, I fear, make much difference, even if plausible.
- In the first part of the book, Stahl attempts to demythologize technology by demonstrating its implicit religious character.
Definition of demythologize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.