(Of a plant, marine invertebrate, or structure) tree-shaped; branching.
- The intermediate-level benthos was dominated by sponges, corals, giant bivalves, giant brachiopods, stalked echinoderms and fixed dendroid graptolites.
- Further, older autozooids in major proximal regions of some large dendroid colonies stopped growing skeletons outwardly as distal colony growth continued.
- Many dendroid colonies in lower Paleozoic trepostomes developed narrow exozones of young presumably feeding autozooids in cycles that covered growing branch tips.
A graptolite of a type that formed much-branched colonies, found chiefly in the Ordovician and Silurian periods.
- Order Dendroidea, class Graptolithina
- In the Early Ordovician, many-branched planktonic forms developed from the attached dendroids.
Definition of dendroid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.