Definition of denitrify in English:
verb (denitrifies, denitrifying, denitrified)[with object]
(Chiefly of bacteria) remove the nitrates or nitrites from (soil, air, or water) by chemical reduction: indigenous bacteria denitrify groundwater
More example sentences
- Still other types of bacteria ‘denitrify’ soil by breaking down its nitrogen compounds and returning free nitrogen to the air.
- So, when there is denitrifying bacteria that means the nitrate is being put back into the atmosphere?
- Oxygen-depleted waters also provide the perfect environment for the growth of a specialized group of bacteria called denitrifying bacteria.
- Example sentences
- Other reactions unique to life, except at extremely high temperatures and pressures, include nitrogen fixation, nitrification and denitrification, sulphate and sulphur reduction, and methane formation.
- These conditions raise the potential for nitrification, leaching, denitrification, or runoff losses.
- Water table management may facilitate denitrification (conversion of nitrate to N-containing gases) in the off-season.
Definition of denitrify in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan