Definition of depersonalization in English:
1The action of divesting someone or something of human characteristics or individuality.
- We oppose the depersonalization that reduces human beings to the status of things.
- The Beatles wanted to turn away from the comfortable and reassuring familiarity that is the essence of pop music and stardom, and instead confront their audience with strangeness and a kind of depersonalization.
- Starting especially in the 1940s observers of Los Angeles began viewing this self-conscious culture of the hard sell in terms of commodification and depersonalization.
1.1 Psychiatry A state in which one’s thoughts and feelings seem unreal or not to belong to oneself.
- Part of it measures five symptom areas: amnesia, depersonalization, derealization, identity confusion, and identity alteration.
- The patient's mental status was marked by confusion, hostility, paranoia, agitation, and depersonalization.
- There are a few disorders of self-awareness, such as schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, autism, depersonalisation disorder.
Definition of depersonalization in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan