Feel or express strong condemnation of (something): we deplore all violence
More example sentences
- He acknowledges a common humanity, denouncing modern race slavery in the strongest terms and deploring the disappearance of Indian civilizations into a historical void in which their cultural meanings would be forever lost.
- The official condemnations of the bombing, therefore, focus not on deploring the act but on lamenting the consequences.
- He said: " The council deplores all acts of violence ".
regret, express regret about, lament, mourn, rue, bemoan, bewail, complain about, grieve over, express sorrow about, sorrow over, sigh over, cry over, weep over, shed tears over, beat one's breast about, wring one's hands over
archaic plain over
- More example sentences
- James looked at me deploringly and not in the least guilty looking at all.
- Colleen groaned and rolled onto her side, looking deploringly at her mother.