noun (plural depositories)
- 1A place where things are stored: Irish libraries became depositories for material from all over the worldMore example sentences
- Those who think otherwise should visit some of the recycling stations, to see the miscellaneous rubbish which is dumped in an assortment of sacks and bags, beside the bottle banks and paper depositories.
- Public libraries quickly became centralized depositories for important public texts and artifacts.
- It was also said that the work of investigators was being hampered by a refusal by museum staff to provide inventories, to reveal the location of safe depositories, and to open storerooms.
- 2 variant spelling of depositary.
mid 17th century (denoting a depositary): from late Latin depositorium, from deposit- 'laid aside', from the verb deponere (see deposit).