Definition of depressive in English:
1Causing feelings of severe despondency and dejection.
- However, persistent severe depressive moods are not part of the ‘normal’ spectrum of behaviour.
- The best punk rock, or whatever, always comes from the most depressive governments.
- Instead I'm indulging in depressive whingeing because I needed the best possible conditions to start tackling a heavier workload and everything seems to have gone pear shaped.
1.1Relating to or tending to suffer from clinical depression: a depressive illness
More example sentences
- The results are still being analysed but researchers say care home residents are enjoying life more and suffering less depressive illness.
- However, elderly patients are the main group suffering seriously from depressive illnesses.
- Women who do meet the criteria for a clinical depressive episode are referred for standard treatment.
1.2Causing a reduction in strength, effectiveness, or value: steroids have a depressive effect on the immune system
More example sentences
- Drugs such as the opioid antagonist naloxone and the benzodiazepine antagonist flumazenil may be used to counter the respiratory depressive effects of these drugs.
- Due to a respiratory depressive effect, a benzodiazepine may limit the amount of opioid that can be given; may cause mental status changes.
- The drug appeared to have no observable depressive effect on respiratory rate.
nounBack to top
A person suffering from or tending to suffer from depression.
- Melancholic depressives may also ruminate over the same thoughts and experiences, and feel excessive guilt.
- They agree that those who do not share this identity cannot understand the suffering that depressives experience.
- Phase-advancing sleep may be a useful treatment for depressives who eschew medication.
Words that rhyme with depressiveaggressive, compressive, concessive, degressive, digressive, excessive, expressive, impressive, obsessive, oppressive, possessive, progressive, recessive, regressive, repressive, retrogressive, successive, transgressive
Definition of depressive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.