Definition of derealization in English:
A feeling that one’s surroundings are not real, especially as a symptom of mental disturbance.
- Part of it measures five symptom areas: amnesia, depersonalization, derealization, identity confusion, and identity alteration.
- Other potential symptoms include acusis, synesthesia, tactile paresthesias, illusions, distortions of body image, derealization, depersonalizations, and mood disturbances.
- Other aspects include dealing with derealization / dissociation, idealization/devaluation, harsh self-evaluation, and anxiety and depression.
- Example sentences
- A provisional answer would be the rejected one: a return to the particulars of everyday life, to an experience that had been abstracted and derealized in the horizon of language.
- While we may strive for authenticity in our personal lives, this is no longer possible in contemporary visual culture: any attempt to do so will be derealized by the real virtuality of hyper-realism.
- Meanwhile, the stories we continue to tell are derealized.
Definition of derealization in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan