verb[with object] Computing
- Obtain the address of a data item held in another location from (a pointer).More example sentences
- The x command evaluates and pretty-prints any expression, prepending a numbered index on each line of output, dereferencing anything that can be dereferenced and indenting each new level of dereferencing.
- Therefore, each user or process that needs to resolve an identifier must know, a priori, which service should be used to dereference that identifier.
- On other CPUs, the data dependency implied by the pointer dereference suffices, so on these CPUs, line 18 generates no code.
More definitions of dereferenceDefinition of dereference in:
- The US English dictionary