- A fossil redeposited in a sediment which is younger than the one in which it first occurred.More example sentences
- No débris of Lower Cretaceous rock or derived fossils were found in the contact strata of the Woodbine.
- Previous reports have described a concretion derived fossil assemblage rich in brine shrimp, chironomid midge pupa, and dytiscid beetle larvae.
- Most lipid biomarkers do not provide information on whether water column derived fossil species are truly ancient or still physiologically active.
More definitions of derived fossilDefinition of derived fossil in:
- The US English dictionary