Definition of dermatoglyphics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The study of skin markings or patterns on fingers, hands, and feet, and its application, especially in criminology.
- The following physical features were noted: cleft lip and palate, overlapping fingers, low-set ears, simian creases, obscure dermatoglyphics, and hypoplastic external genitalia.
- I invite all of those skeptics to read one of my latest works on the field and become introduced to the scientific study of hand appearances, called dermatoglyphics.
- Thus, for the twins concordant for sexual orientation, the null hypothesis that there are no differences in dermatoglyphics between twins cannot be rejected.
- Example sentences
- Since this type of dermatoglyphic model is based on an analysis of genetically identical individuals (monozygotic twins), it provides a marker for prenatal environmental causality independent of genetic causality.
- Some of the factors (including differences in testosterone level) which are associated with intrauterine stress are also associated with dermatoglyphic asymmetry in humans and captive primates.
- But further studies have to be done with a larger sample size in order to evaluate the significance of these variations in the dermatoglyphic features in the oral cleft individuals.
Definition of dermatoglyphics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan