- 1A kind of crane with a movable pivoted arm for moving heavy weights, especially on a ship.More example sentences
- The derrick cranes being used for erection were then moved forward to the next segment and the cycle was repeated.
- The vessel to be fitted with winches, derricks, wheels and ordinary runners capable of handling lifts up to 2 tons.
- Today, two derrick cranes will move the heavy reactor and its related equipment to a trailer with 360 wheels on the pier.
- 2The framework over an oil well or similar boring, holding the drilling machinery.More example sentences
- Soon drilling derricks, pipelines and roads carved up the region, and oil spills polluted lakes and rivers.
- Oil wells no longer require derricks, so west county's 7,000 rickety towers are largely gone.
- There were oil derricks and natural gas pipelines, grain elevators six stories high.
early 17th century (denoting a hangman, also the gallows): from Derrick, the surname of a London hangman.
More definitions of derrickDefinition of derrick in:
- The US English dictionary