Definition of desacralize in English:
Remove the religious or sacred status or significance from: we have chosen to desacralize the world through modern science
More example sentences
- ‘When government attempts to rationalize its display of sacred texts by claiming secular purposes and secular effects, the inevitable tendency is to distort and desacralize the sacred text,’ the brief states.
- Rather, for totalitarian movements, as he understood them, mass murder became the only manifestation of the sacred possible in a completely desacralized cosmology.
- Traditionally then, women are desacralized at the height of their bodily power.
- Example sentences
- In the former section, ‘secularization’ would refer to the de-objectification of social facts and the normative values associated with them as a result of the desacralization of worldviews.
- The churches, particularly the bishops of the Catholic Church, were complicit in the desacralization of Sunday as a holy day when they introduced late Saturday afternoon liturgies, called Vigil Masses.
- The historical desacralization of formerly powerful religious imagery also is suggested by the motif of the nursing woman who sits beneath the epitaph.
Definition of desacralize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan