Definition of desert rose in English:
1A flower-like aggregate of crystals of a mineral, occurring in arid areas.
- In sabkhas gypsum surrounded by sediment grains forms ‘desert roses’.
- It has been meeting once a month, with their most recent achievement being the shade structure in the shape of a desert rose put up at the Skate Park the week before last.
- The Desert Rose "grows" by replacing carbonate sediment in soil overlying gypsum deposits.
2A succulent plant with pink tubular flowers and a woody stem containing toxic milky sap, native to East Africa and Arabia.
- Adenium obesum, family Apocynaceae
- He has sent flowers such as Gerbera bouquets, sunflowers, desert roses, and plants for different occasions.
- The desert rose, the ocean flower, and the forest queen were all that they were known as to the others of the galaxy.
- Then, using canning tongs to handle the prickly pear cactus pads, attach them to the base with wood florist's picks, leaving an opening at the top for the fan palms and desert rose.
3 (also Sturt's desert rose) A dense shrub with pinkish-lilac flowers and black spotted leaves and fruit, native to arid regions of Australia.
- Gossypium sturtianum, family Malvaceae
- When, usually in summer, there is an unexpected shower of rain the desert is covered with a carpet of flowers, including Sturt's desert rose, the heraldic flower of the Northern Territory.
- Since the granting of self-government to the Northern Territory in 1978, Sturt's Desert Rose has been incorporated into various insignia and so become symbolic of the region.
- The Floral Emblem in both its common and botanical names, Sturt's Desert Rose (Gossypium sturtianum) honours its discoverer, the inland explorer Captain Charles Sturt (1795-1868).
Definition of desert rose in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.